Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is an upcoming science fiction film and the sequel to the 2017 film War for the Planet of the Apes. The film is set to be released on May 24, 2024 and will be the fourth installment in the Planet of the Apes reboot series that started with Rise of the Planet of the Apes in 2011.
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is scheduled for theatrical release on May 24, 2024 by 20th Century Studios. The release date was announced in October 2021 after Disney acquired 20th Century Fox and took over the Planet of the Apes franchise.
The film was originally slated for a 2023 release but was delayed due to production delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Principal photography began in October 2022 so the May 2024 date will allow sufficient time for filming and post-production work.
The cast for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes has not yet been officially announced. Given that it is a sequel, some of the key cast members from the previous films are expected to reprise their roles:
- Andy Serkis as Caesar – The lead chimpanzee who led the ape rebellion in the previous films. He was the central character in Rise, Dawn and War.
- Steve Zahn as Bad Ape – The comic relief chimpanzee who was introduced in War.
- Karin Konoval as Maurice – Caesar’s wise and benevolent adviser.
- Terry Notary as Rocket – Caesar’s friend and ally.
Other major human roles like The Colonel played by Woody Harrelson may not return given the events of War. But some new human characters will likely be introduced. There is also speculation that Nova, the human girl befriended by Caesar in War, may return as a grown up character.
Overall the core ensemble of apes from the previous films is expected to return for continuity. But there will be new cast members playing both apes and humans in this sequel.
Not much is known about the plot of Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes yet. The story will pick up several years after the events of War for the Planet of the Apes. Here are some possible plot points:
- It will show the fate of the remaining humans after the simian flu pandemic that wiped out much of humanity. Some human survivors likely created small settlements and villages.
- Multiple ape colonies have now been established who will either fight or cooperate with each other. The film could show the dynamics between different ape factions.
- Caesar is now aging so the film could focus on new younger apes coming to prominence while Caesar takes a backseat. His son Cornelius is expected to play a key role.
- Nova may return as a grown woman and provide the human perspective on co-existing with apes. She could play a pivotal role in human-ape relations.
- The underground facility seen at the end of War seems important to the plot. It may contain secrets that could drive the narrative.
- New human antagonists could emerge to fight against the apes again. Or ape factions themselves may turn against each other.
Overall the story will depict the all-out struggle between humans and apes to become the dominant species on Earth. It will be set against the backdrop of a post-apocalyptic world rebuilding itself after near total destruction.
No trailer or teaser has been released for Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes yet. The first trailer is expected to come out in late 2023, about 6-8 months before release.
When it does come out, the trailer will likely establish the post-apocalyptic world after the simian flu pandemic. It will highlight the technologically advanced ape civilization and the survival of pockets of humans. The visuals will be stunning as is expected from this big budget franchise.
The trailer may focus on an important event that drives the apes and humans to conflict again. We may get glimpses of Caesar in a reduced role along with his son taking center stage. Nova may also feature prominently if she plays a big part.
Overall the first trailer will set up the premise of all-out war between apes and humans in the aftermath of the previous films. It will depict the expansive scale of the world while teasing the plot that brings the two species into confrontation again.
Director and Writers
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes will be directed by Wes Ball who is best known for directing the Maze Runner trilogy. This will be his first major franchise film. The script is written by Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver and Patrick Aison.
Jaffa and Silver have been involved with the franchise since Rise as creators and writers. Friedman co-wrote War while Aison wrote and produced the Planet of the Apes TV series. This assembles an experienced team to take the franchise forward.
Under their stewardship, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is expected to deliver the epic scale, thought-provoking sci-fi themes and visually stunning world that the previous films were praised for.
Production and Filming Details
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes will be produced by 20th Century Studios. The estimated budget is over $150 million indicating its grand scale. Filming began in October 2022 at various locations in Australia and New Zealand. Both countries offer diverse outdoor landscapes suited for the post-apocalyptic setting.
Indoor scenes and studio shoots will take place in Sydney, Australia at Fox Studios. The extensive visual effects and CGI will be done by Weta FX who have worked on all the previous Apes films. With their industry-leading VFX capabilities, moviegoers can expect cutting edge effects.
Principal photography is expected to continue through mid 2023. Once edited, the film will go through extensive post-production work to add the visual effects and the score. This will lead up to the May 2024 release date.
Significance of the Sequel
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is a highly anticipated sequel for several reasons:
- It will take the franchise into new narrative territory about conflicts between ape factions and surviving humans.
- The sequel can explore complex themes around tribalism, violence, compassion and co-existence.
- It will satisfy fans who want to revisit the franchise’s immersive world.
- From a business standpoint, it can reignite a commercially successful franchise for 20th Century Studios.
- The cutting edge visual effects can push new boundaries in CGI like the previous films.
- For moviegoers, it will deliver a thrilling blockbuster set in a richly imagined sci-fi universe.
If Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes succeeds, it could spawn more sequels and TV spinoffs set in this unique cinematic world. So there is a lot riding on its ability to draw audiences back to the Planet of the Apes.
With its May 2024 release, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes has the potential to be one of the biggest films of that year. By continuing the epic saga focused on Caesar and his apes, the sequel can attract both loyal franchise fans and general audiences.
The creative team of experienced writers and directors should deliver the trademark spectacle mixed with thought-provoking themes that define this reboot series. If Kingdom captivates viewers the way Rise, Dawn and War did, it could mark a momentous return to cinematic glory for Planet of the Apes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. When will Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes release?
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes is scheduled to release in theaters on May 24, 2024.
Q2. Who are the cast members reprising their roles?
Andy Serkis, Steve Zahn, Karin Konoval and Terry Notary are expected to reprise their roles as Caesar, Bad Ape, Maurice and Rocket respectively.
Q3. What will the plot be about?
The plot will follow the events after War for the Planet of the Apes showing the fate of human survivors and conflicts between ape factions as both species try to become dominant.
Q4. Who are the directors and writers?
Wes Ball directs the film while the writers are Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver and Patrick Aison.
Q5. When will the first trailer release?
The trailer is expected to release about 6-8 months before the film, likely late 2023.
Q6. Where is filming taking place?
Principal photography began in October 2022 with locations in Australia and New Zealand.
Q7. What can viewers expect from the sequel?
Viewers can expect an epic sci-fi film with stunning visual effects, action sequences and the thought-provoking themes around tribalism and compassion that define the franchise.